|Open Date||Sep 01 2020 - 10:00:00 AM||Close Date||Sep 23 2020 - 12:00:00 PM|
|Position Title||City Treasurer||Posting Type||Administration|
|Posting Status||Active||Position Length||Full Time|
|Department Group||Hours per Week|
|Education||University||Experience||5 - 10 years|
|Salary Range||$124,328 to $145,447|
With a population of 32,000, Orillia is a sustainable and creative city that leverages its core strengths: a lively and historic downtown, exciting growth, and vibrant waterfronts along two lakes. Orillia is located one hour north of the GTA and offers affordable living alongside major employers like Lakehead University, Georgian College and the Ontario Provincial Police headquarters. Orillia offers an excellent quality of life with four-season recreation and cultural opportunities for every age including an impressive parks and trail system, festivals, galleries, music and live theatre. Located in the heart of Ontario’s Lake Country, Orillia is a great place to live, work and explore.
Pursuant to Section 286 of the Municipal Act, the City Treasurer is responsible for handling the financial affairs of the municipality, preparing the budget, collecting money, depositing all money received, paying all debts and other authorized expenditures, maintaining accurate records and accounts regarding all financial matters, ensuring investments are made in compliance with appropriate regulations. Member of the Senior Management Team.
- Prepare the annual operating and capital budgets for review by Council, ensuring budgets are produced in a timely, accurate and efficient manner.
- Coordinate and monitor long-range fiscal forecasts.
- Overall responsibility for all tax issues ensuring full compliance with statutory regulations.
- Establish billing procedures and supervises the distribution of billing statements.
- Arrange and execute borrowing authorized by Council and provide for the investment of reserve, trust and other such funds.
- Invoice taxpayers, ratepayers and other customers for services provided by the City.
- Assist the Auditors in the preparation of the annual financial statements.
- Monitor the ongoing Public Sector Accounting Board (PSAB) asset management project process ensuring regulatory compliance.
- Oversee and recommend appropriate insurance policies. Receive notices of claims by third parties, authorize processing of such claims if applicable.
- Responsible for the Development Charges program.
- Supervise the City’s purchasing function.
- Prepare, review and recommend annual Treasury Department budget; monitor/administer approved budget and report on same; and authorize payment of accounts.
- Prepare reports, make recommendations/presentations and attend Council Committee/Council Committee in Closed Session, Senior Management Team, community group, public and/or other meetings, as required.
POSITION EDUCATION, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- University degree in Accounting or Business Administration, coupled with a professional accounting designation (CPA, CA, CGA, CMA).
- Financial experience of at least 5 to 10 years in a municipal environment.
- Master of Public Administration (MPA) and/or Master of Business Administration would be an asset.
- Thorough knowledge of the Municipal Act, Development Charges Act, investment and debt management, provincial/federal funding programs, property taxation, auditing principles and practices and other related legislation or regulations.
- Excellent communication, organizational, analytical, coaching, time management, strategic planning and management skills.
- Strong computer skills using MS Office applications, including Word, Excel, and Great Plains Dynamics.
- Possess a valid class ‘G’ Ontario driver’s licence with an acceptable driver’s abstract.
- An acceptable Criminal Record Check is required for this position at the incumbent’s expense prior to the employment commencement date.
Compensation for this position is $124,328 to $145,447, plus a comprehensive benefits package. Applications will be accepted until September 23, 2020 at noon.
APPLICATIONS WILL ONLY BE ACCEPTED BY APPLYING ONLINE. PLEASE CLICK THE "APPLY NOW" BUTTON BELOW.
We thank all applicants that apply and advise that only those to be interviewed will be contacted. The City of Orillia is committed to an inclusive, barrier-free environment. Accommodation will be provided in all steps of the hiring process. Please advise the City of Orillia Human Resources Department if you require any accommodations to ensure you can participate fully and equally during the recruitment and selection process. In accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection and Privacy Act, personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act 2001, S.O. 2001, c. 25, and will be used for the purpose of candidate selection. Questions about this collection should be directed to the Freedom of Information Coordinator, 50 Andrew St. S., Suite 300, Orillia ON L3V 7T5 or call 705-325-1311.