Library Technician - Children's & Youth Services (6 Month Contract)
|Open Date||Jul 13 2021 - 11:22:00 AM||Close Date||Ongoing|
|Position Title||Library Technician - Children's & Youth Services (6 Month Contract)||Posting Type||Administration|
|Posting Status||Active||Position Length||Part Time Temporary|
|Department Group||Hours per Week||Approximately 20 hours per week, including evenings and weekends.|
|Department||Orillia Public Library||Openings||Ongoing|
|Education||College||Company||City of Orillia|
|Salary Range||$23.79 to $28.38|
The Orillia Public Library is seeking an energetic, innovative, customer service-oriented team player with exceptional technical skills, to work as part of the Library’s Children and Youth Services team. The candidate will provide in-depth information service and advice on the print and non-print collection. The candidate will support and may plan, promote, conduct and evaluate programs for children and teens both in the library and the community. The candidate will be responsible for working in partnership with community organizations in the delivery of library services. The candidate will also assist customers with new technologies and devices as well as social media. Saturday, Sunday, and evening hours are required. Some call-in relief required.
- Provide in-depth information and readers’ advisory services to the public in person, by telephone, and electronically
- Support program promotion
- Strong emphasis on engaging with children and youth in the library
- Instruct the public in the use of the catalogue and the Library’s other online resources e.g. website, databases
- Process and maintain designated sections of the collection as needed
- Direct and monitor pages, volunteers, and summer students on tasks to be completed within department
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Library Technician diploma from a recognized school, or the equivalent degree or diploma with a specialization in working with children and/or youth
- Excellent attention to detail
- Well-developed skills in information service delivery
- Strong knowledge of popular non-fiction, fiction and audio-visual titles for children and teens
- Able to accommodate a variable schedule
- Able to organize time efficiently
- Demonstrated ability to interact pleasantly and courteously with the public and staff, and to promote a harmonious workplace
- Ability to effectively and efficiently learn new technologies
- A current and acceptable Criminal Record Check with a Vulnerable Sector Check is required for this position at the incumbent’s expense, prior to the employment commencement date.
- Experience in information service delivery
- Familiarity with office software
- Knowledge of an integrated library system
Compensation for this position is $23.79 to $28.38 per hour (2020 rates). Applications will be accepted until the position is filled but priority will be given to those who apply before September 19, 2021 at 4:00 p.m.
APPLICATIONS WILL ONLY BE ACCEPTED BY APPLYING ONLINE. PLEASE CLICK THE "APPLY NOW" BUTTON BELOW
Note: The City of Orillia is committed to an inclusive, barrier-free environment. Accommodation will be provided in all steps of the hiring process. Please advise the City of Orillia Human Resources Department if you require any accommodations to ensure you can participate fully and equally during the recruitment and selection process. We thank all applicants that apply and advise that only those to be interviewed will be contacted. In accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act 2001,S.O. 2001, c. 25., and will be used for the purpose of candidate selection. Questions about this collection should be directed to the Freedom of Information Coordinator, City of Orillia, 50 Andrew St. S., Orillia ON L3V 7T5.