School Crossing Guard
|Open Date||Jul 13 2021 - 12:39:00 PM||Close Date||Ongoing|
|Position Title||School Crossing Guard||Posting Type||Operations|
|Posting Status||Active||Position Length||Part Time Temporary|
|Department Group||Hours per Week||2 hours per school day|
|Education||Grade 12 Education or Equivalent||Company||City of Orillia|
|Salary Range||$16.73 per hour|
The City of Orillia’s Police Services Board has an opening for two positions for a School Crossing Guard and two positions for a Substitute School Crossing Guard (September, 2021 to June, 2022). This position does not work on weekends, school holidays or statutory holidays.
- Responsible to safely escort pedestrians, as defined in the Highway Traffic Act across roadways at designated school crossings by monitoring traffic flow gaps and assuming right-of-way, while adhering to regulations, policies and procedures.
- Deal with all contacts in a courteous, friendly and efficient manner.
- Be punctual, arrive on time and remain at school crossing location for the scheduled hours.
- Observe and report any safety-related incidents or hazardous conditions.
- Attend advanced health and safety training.
- Excellent judgment, initiative and interpersonal skills to communicate effectively with children, parents, pedestrians, school officials and the police.
- Ability to walk quickly and repeatedly in and out of the intersection and stand for 60 minutes, two times a day.
- Ability to extend an arm out parallel to shoulder holding a “STOP” sign (weight of approximately 1 pound) for up to one minute at a time, frequently.
- Ability to effectively hear and see on-coming traffic at a safe distance (approximately 300 feet).
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work outside during all weather conditions.
- Substitute Crossing Guards must be available to work on short notice and willing to work a flexible schedule.
- The successful candidate will be required to obtain an acceptable Criminal Record Check with a Vulnerable Sector Check at their expense, prior to the employment commencement date.
Compensation for this position is $16.73 per hour (September 2021 rates) for two hours per school day.
APPLICATIONS WILL ONLY BE ACCEPTED BY APPLYING ONLINE. PLEASE CLICK THE "APPLY NOW" BUTTON BELOW.
We thank all applicants that apply and advise that only those to be interviewed will be contacted. The City of Orillia is committed to an inclusive, barrier-free environment. Accommodation will be provided in all steps of the hiring process. Please advise the City of Orillia Human Resources Department if you require any accommodations to ensure you can participate fully and equally during the recruitment and selection process. In accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection and Privacy Act, personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act 2001, S.O. 2001, c. 25, and will be used for the purpose of candidate selection. Questions about this collection should be directed to the Freedom of Information Coordinator, 50 Andrew St. S., Suite 300, Orillia ON L3V 7T5 or call 705-325-1311.